Campaign Suite recommendations are powerful means for the purpose of improving the performance of campaigns. In the recommendation stream they are sorted by importance and expected impact. Learn how to apply a recommendation and understand the different types of recommendations.
Step 1: Selecting and queuing recommendations
Click on “Optimization tools” on the navigation menu. Filter recommendations either by intended impact or by type. From the list, select relevant recommendations and add them to the todo list. This is a queue of tasks you can work on later. To access the list navigate to the “ToDo” tab.
Step 2: Applying Recommendations
Alternatively, you can also immediately apply a recommendation. Click on it to expand and display details. Here download the provided CSV file and upload it to the corresponding Google AdWords account, create a test or apply the recommended changes. The “ToDo” list works in the same way.
Types of Recommendations
There are four recommendations for which it is important to understand how they cooperate with the Campaign Suite. Most recommendations are generated as a CSV file that is to be uploaded to Google AdWords. In case of the following four recommendations, it is possible that a succeeding Campaign Suite export may – if uploaded to Google – overwrite the valuable changes made with the recommendation CSV file.
- Change the budgets in the general settings of the Campaign Suite and in the template settings of standalone templates.
- In the future only click the button “Download changes” during Campaign Suite exports. Unless you changed the budget in the Campaign Suite, the changes implemented by the recommendation will remain in your AdWords account, because budgets would never be exported again.
- Exclude “Campaign Settings” as an option from the export sets. This can be done on the first step of the export flow. Click “Export Sets” in the upper right corner. Deselect “Campaign Settings” and select to save the selection as default. From now on, you will never overwrite your budgets via Campaign Suite exports.
- In the future only click the button “Download changes” during Campaign Suite exports. Unless you changed the ad status in the Campaign Suite, the changes implied by the Adalyzer would be kept in your AdWords account, because ad statuses of existing ads would never get exported again. Only newly created ads and their statuses would be exported.
- A further option is to exclude “Text Ads” as an option from the export sets. This can be done on the first step of the export flow. Click “Export Sets” in the upper right corner. Deselect “Text Ads” and select to save the selection as default. From now on, you will never overwrite your ad statuses via Campaign Suite exports. But new text ads will not be exported.
However, please be aware of the feature static url tables, which enable the Campaign Suite to deal with special URLs for specific keywords.